Saturday, May 1, 2010

Effects made





The most common effect you will hear about me is that I was the first lady doctor. I also organized Woman's Central Association of for the Sick and Wounded of the army. A lot of woman came to help make bandages and other items for the wounded. I also formed a sanitary commission to help the Union army. I remembered how it helped the British. But no government officials were interested in our plans to make the living conditions much more sanitary for the solders , all though some men thought it was fantastic idea. Led by a Unitarian minister a group of male doctors traveled to Washington D.C to persuade President Lincoln to allow women to help. On June 13, President Lincoln was convinced and set up the United States Sanitary Commission. I was very pleased to hear this news.

No comments:

Post a Comment